Katrin Gebbe is a writer / director from Germany. She is the lead director of the german Netflix hit THE EMPRESS. With more than 47 million hours viewed within the first 4 days, the drama series, set in the 1850s, became number one in the non-English language series charts worldwide. Before that, Gebbe directed PELICAN BLOOD, her second feature starring Nina Hoss. The film premiered in Venice and opened the prestigious section Orrizonti. The film received numerous awards, such as the first prize at Bucheon Int. Film Festival (South Korea), the Méliès d’Or Award for the Best European Fantastic Film in Sitges and „Best Director“ at Fantastic Fest (Austin/USA). Gebbe’s feature film debut NOTHING BAD CAN HAPPEN, after her own script, premiered at Cannes (Un Certain Regard) and won the German Film Critics’ Award, the Bavarian Film Award, and the New Auteurs Critics’ Award at AFI Fest in Los Angeles (a.o.). Before her first feature, Gebbe attended the Hamburg Media School, the Academy of Visual Arts and Design in the Netherlands and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, USA.
Projects in development: Katrin Gebbe is currently shooting her first english – language series A THOUSAND BLOWS for DISNEY+ (created and written by Steven Knight).
Together DCM she develops her first english language feature „THE CHESS MACHINE“.
With JUNAFILM she develops her first mini series as creator, writer and director. THE WEREWOLF & RENÉE was selected for the first SERIES MAKERS program by SERIES MANIA in 2023.
2008 Masterstudy- Directing, Hamburg Media School, Hamburg, GER, diploma „Graduated with honors“
2006: Diploma Studies Visual Communication: Bachelor of Design, AKI, ArtEZ Academy of Visual Arts, Enschede, NL
Exchange at SMFA, School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, USA in 2005
Guest teacher/ lecturer
– Masterclass, seminar „Directing“ Hamburg Media School, Hamburg
– Filmschauspiel“, „Schnitt“ und „Drehbuch-/ Szenen-analyse“, Akademie für Darstellende Künste, Ludwigsburg, Schauspielklasse
– Masterclass, UCLA
– Masterclass, GOETHE INSTITUTE L.A.
– workshop „Banality, Violence, and Film: A Day with Katrin Gebbe“, Queen Mary University of London
– Masterclass, Goethe Institute London
– Masterclass writing / directing, UDK Berlin
– seminar „film“ Leuphana University, Lüneburg
– Teacher „short film and commercials“ Institute of Design, Hamburg
– Masterclass, film festival CINEMA CITY, Serbia
– member of the 95. OSCAR®- selection committee for Best International Feature Film– member of the 95th OSCAR®- selection committee for Best International Feature Film Germany 2022
– Karlovy Vary, Independent Jury,
– Neuchâtel, International Jury
– Hamburger Produzentenpreis, Filmfest Hamburg
– film festival CINEMA CITY, Serbia, National Jury
– European Young Civis Media Prize, Short film Jury
Katrin Gebbe is member of the German Film Academy and the European Film Academy. She is also a member of PRO QUOTE and BVR.